Thursday, October 8, 2009

My First Time...please be gentle!

Hi There!

Well this is my very first time blogging. I don't mind telling you I'm nervous!

I'm a writer by trade but you wouldn't know it by how ignorant I am of the blogging world. Old fashioned I guess. I've been in hard copy publishing for about 20 years and really love it. I've worked for newspapers, magazines and a couple of websites. I've written about travel, art, history, and business (lots of that). But it seems the old publishing world is getting KO'd by the electronic arena. But I'm a survivor, and survivors adapt!

Over the last few years, I've taken up jewelry making as a hobby. The more I did it, the more I wanted to do it. And yes, it's addicting. So much so that I decided to sell my work. I think it's gorgeous and others do, too. But it's not all the large chunky styles that are more popular today. It's mostly beaded necklaces and earrings that remind me of the stuff my mom used to wear to church and dress up occasions when I was a little girl. Sometimes, when I'm working, I get a whiff of the perfume she used to wear. She's 91 years old now and doesn't wear much jewelry anymore, but she encourages me to keep trying.

If you want to take a look, go to http://www.designsbymayanna.etsy.com/. If you like it let me know, if not that's okay too. Just be nice about it. I learned to make my jewelry with professional finishing first. Now, I'm beginning to branch out into other techniques and styles. Stick around and watch me grow!

I'll probably use this blog to talk about a lot of different things including places I've been, things I like and dislike. Maybe even some social or political issues, if I happen to be on my soapbox that day.

Anyway, thanks for dropping by! Come back soon!

No comments: